What is poultry farming?
Poultry farming is a branch of livestock farming that deals with the rearing of chickens and other birds for human consumption.
Why should I care?
- Poultry farming is one of the most profitable subdivision of livestock farming.
- Poultry farming is a business that yields fast return on investment. Day old chicks can be ready for sale within 24-25weeks.
- Chicken Eggs are highly sort after in the market.
- There are not enough poultry farmers in Nigeria
- Poultry farming does not require much skill to manage successfully. Some successful poultry farmers are illiterate (No disrespect intended).
- The growth rate of poultry farming is exponential (when managed successfully).
How do I start poultry farming?
Write a business plan. If you intend on starting a poultry farm for business purposes; then, just like any other business, it should be treated with the utmost level of commitment. Your first step should be to write a good business plan. See how to write a business plan.
Your poultry business plan should tell you the following:
- How you are going to get the capital for your business
- How much you will invest into the business (Have enough to take care of purchasing of chicks, feedng, medication and power for atleast six months)
- Where you intend to locate your business
- How you intend to market your business
Ignore Step 1 if you are not starting a poultry farm for business purposes.
Choose a specific poultry that suites you and work towards making it a success, you can then expand from there (if you wish). Below are a few poultry you could choose from.
- Chicken and layers (meat and egg production)
- Guinea fowl
Get a location. Depending on why you are starting a poultry business, you might need a location further away from where you reside. The Nigerian government frowns at starting poultry farming in residential areas.
Getting a good location for your poultry business is a huge determinant of how successful your business will be.
If you are starting a poultry farm for your consumption alone, then it’s alright to use the corner of your residence.
Build your farm. After getting a suitable location, you can then go ahead to construct a poultry house. You should ensure that your poultry house is built so as to protect your birds from harsh weather as well as effectively gather their droppings. Your poultry house should have good lighting and ventilation.
Buy your poultry equipment. You’ll need quite a few equipment to run your poultry farm successfully, some of these equipment are listed below.
- Waste disposal system
You can get more equipment as your farm expands.
You can now go ahead and get your birds and start your poultry farm.
Tips For a Successful Poultry Farm
- Do your best to keep your farm as neat as possible. Dirt leads to germs and bacteria, germs and bacteria lead to contamination and contamination ultimately leads to disease and death of poultry.
- Keep a record of everything happening in your poultry.
- Use vaccines and drugs once in a while to avoid outbreak of diseases.
- Restrict entry into your farms to authorized persons only (this helps fight contamination).
- Protect your farm from thieves, snakes, cats and other hostile elements in anyway you can.
- Separate sick birds from healthy ones.
- Feed your poultry the right feed.