The Nigerian Army says it has released 1,250 person who were previously arrested on the suspicion of being Boko Haram terrorists.
The Army says, the suspects have been interrogated and found not to be members of the dreaded Islamic sect.
The Nigerian Army made this known on Monday via Brigadier-General Victor Ezugwu, the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 division. The General, disclosed the information during a visit by the head of sub-delegation of ICRC, Beat Mosimann, at the Maimalari Cantonment in Maiduguri.
Brigadier General Ezugwu said the suspected terrorists were released in batches of 7 seven, after obtaining clearaance.
“We are keeping this regular release because the Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Burutai, want us to ensure that it is only people who have contact and connection with Boko Haram, that have insurgency issues to sort that should be detained so that those who do not have contact should be detained,” said Gen. Ezeugwu.
“The ICRC wants us to collaborate in the area of welfare for our detainees and we have assured them that we are going to continue doing our best interns of welfare in accordance with the international practice.”
“Our approach in handling detained suspects is multi agency so what we do is we collaborate with NGOs so that once there is gap in what we are doing they will tell us.”
“In terms of feeding, we are providing solid Nigerian foods for the detainees; good food supplement that would enhance their wellbeing, access to exercise and the best of accommodation. We are hoping that things will get better in 2017,” The General concluded.