The Director of Defence Information, yesterday at the Defense Headquarters, Abuja, said the Nigerian Army were getting close to rescuing the Chibok girls as well as other Boko Haram captives.
In an exclusive interview to the Punch, The Director, Defence Information, Brigadier Gen. Rabe Abubakar, made this known on Sunday. The General also added that the information regarding if the Chibok girls were still held up in the Sambisa forest is an information that cannot be shared with the public; stating that, the successful rescue of the girls should be the paramount interest of the general public.
“We should allow for calm in this operation, which is still ongoing. We have yet to come to point zero. We have taken over the heart and the centre of Sambisa.”
“The operation will culminate with Operation Rescue Finale which will end only when all the captives, including the Chibok girls have been rescued, and this would be soon.”
“There are things we want to keep to ourselves for now. Everyone should understand that now that Sambisa is under the control of the military, there will be more rescues. We cannot say what will jeopardise the rescue operations of the troops.”
“When asked whether Sambisa would become a settlement for people, the DDI said the military had yet to make a decision.”
“What we will do with Sambisa is still left with us. “We have completely left that as a secret. It is our secret. People shouldn’t preempt us,” he said.
Yesterday, Sunday, Nigeria’s Minister of Defence alongside other service chiefs were in Mafa, Borno State, to see troops in the frontlines.
According to the Minister, the visit, was aimed at reopening the roads in Borno State which had been shut down due to the activities of the dreaded Islamic sect.