- The attacks have left many dead and properties lost.
- Ramaphosa apologizes over the incidents.
President Muhammadu Buhari has demanded that measures should be put in place to prevent the re-occurrence of attacks on Nigerians and other African migrants in South Africa.
The attacks which many have described as xenophobic has left many dead and properties lost.
At the start of the meeting with South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphos, Buhari call for the protection of Nigerians and other foreign nationals living in the country.
The President also condemned the xenophobic attacks in Johannesburg, South Africa’s capital which led to the looting of shops owned by foreign nationals.
“Mr President, we have condemned in strongest terms attacks against Nigerians and other African nationals living in South Africa, including the looting of their shops and businesses and burning of their properties.
“We call for the strengthening and the implementation of all the necessary measures to prevent the reoccurrence of such actions,” Buhari said.
In his response, Ramaphosa, who repeatedly apologised over the attacks, reiterated his government’s “deep regret at the incidents of public violence.”
“Some of the acts of violence were directed at foreign nationals and some of whom come from your own country.
“We firmly condemn all forms of intolerance and will not hesitate to act against criminal acts and violence,” he said.
The duo later went into long-planned talks aimed at bolstering trade ties and political cooperation to boost their economies.
The president left Abuja, the nation’s capital for Johannesburg on a three-day state visit. This is a visit to the country by a Nigerian leader since 2013. Although the visit had been planned before the wave of violence.
A “town hall meeting” between Buhari and Nigerians living in South Africa is scheduled for Friday to listen to the expats’ experience and showcase efforts to support them.
Over five hundred Nigerians have returned home for the fear of their lives.