The Vice Presidential Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in the 2019 Presidential election, Peter Obi, has denied donating N1 billion to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) relief fund.
Some social media pages had reported the donation of the sum which the former Anambra Governor quickly dismissed.
Obi said in a statement issued on Tuesday, by his Media Office and signed by Mr. Valentine Obienyem reacted to the list of purported donors to the fund. In the list that has gone viral, Obi’s name appears as number 33 and a billion Naira indicated as the amount he has allegedly donated.
While noting that the issue at hand was scary and of great importance to the world, especially for Nigeria to be tainted by any manner of fake news, Obi implored purveyors of fake news to desist from that.
“As a Nigerian, I am deeply worried about the situation in the world, especially what Nigeria and her citizens are going through. I had earlier made case for the vulnerable and advised that their plight should be a priority in any decision on how to fight the pandemic”, Obi said.
While also thanking Nigerians that have in one way or the other contributed to the on-going efforts to check the spread of COVID-9 in the country, and to bring relief to the victims of the virus, Obi urged more support from individuals and organisations according to abilities, to tackle what he described as “ global catastrophe.”