Xenophobia: Fresh Attack Leaves One Dead, Five Injured

  • Sixty-two people died during a xenophobic attack in 2008.
  • Police says the situation under control.

Information reaching iDONSABI indicates that one person has been killed and five others sustained various injuries in Johannesburg over renewed attacks by South Africans on Nigerians and other African migrants.

According to the South African Police, this happened after security forces clashed with looters in the latest outbreak of xenophobic violence on Sunday.

According to the Police, Riot police had to fire stun grenades and rubber bullets to break up crowds targeting shops in the city’s Central Business District (CBD).

READ: You Are Nothing But A Filth, Fani-Kayode Lambastes Mbeki Over Xenophobia Comment Against Nigerians

It could be recalled that the city which is the biggest in the country and other areas were hit by a surge of attacks against businesses owned by migrants in the last week, leaving at least ten people dead and prompting protests from several African countries.

Speaking with the AFP, police spokesperson Xlolani Fihla confirmed that one person was dead, but the cause of the death couldn’t be confirmed as at the time of filling in this report.

Captain Kay Makhubele, a national police force official also confirmed to eNCA new that five more people were reported injured.

Police later via its Twitter page said that the CBD, Jeppestown and Hillbrow neighbourhoods were under control.

READ: Xenophobia: Take Action Against South Africa Now, APC Chieftain Tells FG

It could be recalled that in 2008, 62 people died as a result of xenophobic attacks, while in 2015, seven were killed in attacks in Johannesburg and Durban.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

FREE eBook - Blogging Cash Course
Subscribe to our newsletter and we will send your free ebook to your email right now!
Thank You! We will send free eBook within a while.